Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help me flatten this *#$! (super awesome) sheet metal part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo0z

Industrial
Nov 22, 2010
US
Fellow users,
I've created a lofted bend sheet metal part. I then used an extruded cut to get the desired shape. The part will now not unfold. I've been trying to create this shape in a way that can be "flattened" for two days now. I have drawn it 3 different ways, and each time it will not flatten. It's really not that complicated of a shape. Could you please take a look at my part and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure the answere is right there, but unfortunatley I just cant seem to see it :(
I would really appreciate any advice at all, I'm at that point of frustration and time crunch where the stress starts to be painful.
Know that I appreciate your time and any effort you are willing to share,
-Dan
SW 2008

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you're missing for the flat pattern is a straight face tangent to the lofted bends or if it's not working with the lofted bends try with the base flange feature. If the added face is not usefull for manufacturing probably you can only remove it after the flat pattern is done.

Hope it helps.

Patrick

Pat,
I took your advice and revised my extruded cut to leave one side straight. (I can mirror the radiused edge to this side in the flat pattern). I was able to get a flat pattern, but it threw some errors with it that I don't quite follow, and am not sure if they are of any consequence. Could you please look at the attached revised file?
Thanks again for your help,
-Dan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e6a1b5dc-d408-483e-9cc6-a5b934ef0b94&file=Flat_pattern_with_error.zip
DingoOz,

You are apparently using an older version of SWX. I am on 2012 so you would not be able to open my part. I have a solution for you, but several comments first.
1. Your model is totally unconstrained. This is very poor technique.
2. I recommend you take advantage of symmetry and also center your sketches on the primary planes.
3. Sketch 8 should be converted entities of sketch 1. In that way if something changes in sketch 1 sketch 8 follows it.

The attached zip file includes a Word document that has screen shots comparing what you did to what I did to make your model work. There are other ways to achieve what you are after so this is not the only way to get there. However, the Word doc should help you to understand some techniques that will ultimately allow you to get more done, faster and with fewer problems. Also included is a Parasolid of the resulting file. Even if you have trouble replicating my steps you can at least take the dumb solid and convert it to a part and move on from there.

- - -Updraft

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c211eb4e-b2b4-4fc8-86a1-c5e4ffaa5981&file=Flattening_of_Test_Part.zip
Updraft,
Wow!
That was extremely informative. Excellent tutorial! I learned quite a bit from you just now, and am going to keep your document as a guide for the future. Thank you very much for taking the time to help, and even more for teaching me some
new approaches and features. There is no way around it.. you just made my day :) And this is not the first time you've pulled me out of a pinch!

Many blessings your way,
-Dan

DingoOz,

Updraft gave you real good modeling techniques to follow, sorry if I didn't have the time to do the same thing.

On your second model the straight face you are using isn't tangent to the bend face so that's probably why you are having an error. Updraft made it exactly how I mean't.

I don't know what you are doing with this model and how you intend to have it manufactured but each time I had a piece like that, my colleagues on the shop floor would always ask me to add two straight faces of say 6 inches on both ends of the rolled bend in order to be able to insert the piece into the rolling machine.

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick,
Thats an excellent idea that I'm sure our guys will appreciate. It's unfortunate that I only get the opportunity to use SW about a dozen times a year because most of the work we do doesn't require it. I'm the production designer for a custom sign company. Corel Draw & Illustrator are better suited towards most of what we do simply because they are "Art" programs that are faster to draw in and can handle a multitude of images without slowing down.
I have a deep background in Autocad, but have had to learn to use other software for the signage industry. SW is excellent for the complex sheet metal parts, but doesn't always seem "intuitive" on the approach you have to take to accomplish things.
Maybe if I used it more often I would think that about other programs instead :)
As it is, if it weren't for people like you and Updraft, little guys like me would crash and burn fairly fast.

Thanks guys,
-Dan

Dan,

SolidWorks has excellent tutorials, Help -> Tutorials. I recommend you go through them. It doesn't take long and it will dramatically shorten your learning curve. This will be especially helpful since you are only an occasional user. If you learn the proper basics it will stay with you more than you might think. The stuff WILL be more intuitive, once you get tuned-in a little better.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back