Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plotting in multiple windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottMf

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2004
US
I want to display plots of a the frist mode shape of a controller box from 3 different angels, and one with the top cover of the box off all in the same image. I can easily display the different viewpoints using the following

/wind,1,ltop
/wind,2,rtop
/wind,3,lbot
/wind,4,rbot
/view,1,1,1,1
/view,2,1,.5,.5
/view,3,.5,-.5,-1
/view,4,1,1,1,1
/gcmd,1,plns,u,sum
/gcmd,2,plns,u,sum
/gcmd,3,plns,u,sum
gplot

but I cannot figure out how to remove the top cover and plot the nodal solution without it in only window 4. once I unselect the cover elements and issue
/gcmd,4,plns,u,sum
gplot
all windows are reploted without the cover instead of just window 4.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry Scott, I'm afraid this can't be possible.
When you use multiplot, you are actually plotting the same model in different windows, so what you are able to do is change plotted items in terms of results, element or nodes, focus and so on.
But if you try to unselect part of elements, for instance, you'll see that also in other windows the same elements are unselected. And when you issue a /replot command or a gplot in your case, every window is updated.

In my opinion the only workaround should be taking a hardcopy of your layout in 2 versions and create a merged image with a paintshop-style sw.

Anyway I'll keep searching a different and more friendly way...

Bye
Ale

Thanks; I was hoping there would be some way to turn off the refresh for each window individually so that once I plot the first three windows with the top on I could turn off the refresh on those windows and then plot with the top off and then output that to an image and repeat for the next mode. Any other ideas?

~Scott

Mmmh, the /noerase has a different behavior: if you have to replot or issue a gplot, having /noerase on or not is the same.
Moreover you cannot use /noerase only for one window (as far as I know).
The only difference is that if you rotate the model with /noerase, you'll have a "trail" (funny, but unuseful for me)
Still searching (It would be interesting also for me...)
Ale

WORKAROUND FOUND!!!!!!!

It's a bit stupid, but it works.
First of all You have to start interactive session with X11 graphic display (if you use UNIX) or the equivalent for WIN (anyway NOT 3D).

After having loaded db and rst, execute your commands:

/wind,1,ltop
/wind,2,rtop
/wind,3,lbot
/wind,4,rbot
/view,1,1,1,1
/view,2,1,.5,.5
/view,3,.5,-.5,-1
/view,4,1,1,1,1
/gcmd,1,plns,u,sum
/gcmd,2,plns,u,sum
/gcmd,3,plns,u,sum

After execute also

/gcmd,4,plns,u,sum
gplot

In this layout rotate the model in each window following your needs and finally unselect the part you don't want to be visible in 4th window. Apparently nothing happens, but if you click with left button on the window you want to change (to take control of it) and move just a little your model, you'll see that only that window will be updated (when you release mouse button).
And......That's it!!!!

Have fun
Ale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back