Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plotting to file (tiffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdike

Industrial
Jan 9, 2002
US
This is killing me... Need to distribute drawings for viewing and not editing. Loaded 'Raster file export ADI 4.3' to create tiff files (using R14). The default settings for the printer config create a tiff with a black background/ white lines. The tiff is otherwise fine with everything visible. However when I manually change that setting to create the disired white background with black lines, the contents of the paperspace viewports dissapear. Doesn't matter what color the objects are. If I go to tile space and create a tiff with all the same print settings, those same layers/objects will now show up. What's going on? Should I abondon this approach and try something else?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try writing a PDF file. I have found them successful. The original PDF writer is from Adobe. There are also less expensive ones available if you search.

Thanks. I have ottopdf. Problem is that it simply creates a file based on the portion of my DWG. that appears on screen when autocad opens it. How would I select the view that gets converted? When making a tiff or bmp it's via 'plot to file' so I can select a window...

bdike,

Have you tried exporting the drawing rather than plotting the drawing. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it works.

sc

Last place I worked used a program called Swiftview to convert plot files with really good results. Alternatif is another program that has an excellent viewer, I'm not sure they have a converter though.

if you need a quick fix, you can take the existing tiff and use an image program to reverse the color scheme (create a negative image -black goes to white and vice-versa). If the lines thickness etc is satisfactory in your original this should work fine.

I would also side with 'RiBeneke' and stick with PDFs for distributing/archiving drawings.

I've not used 'ottopdf' so I can't give you direct help with that I'm afraid. The program I use is called 'ViewCompanion' ( and I've been using it for about a year now with no problems. You mention some trouble with the conversion when using ottopdf, do you have to specify stuff in ottopdf in order for it to convert? ...is that right?

Like I said I'm not sure about ottopdf but to use VC is simple, all you do is print as you would do normally. Choose your printer, pen settings, paper size and then pick the area you want to print (typically 'Extents' or 'Pick Window') and then set the scale. The only thing different you do is rather than printing direct to the printer to tick the 'Print to file' option and specify a filename/path. This .plt file can then be dragged into VC where you can view the .plt file before doing a 'Save As' as a .pdf file.

I hope that helps

Hindo

Ottopdf doesn't have any options for picking a window to print etc. Downloaded ViewCompanion, created a .PLT file. ViewCompanion wouldn't open it ('format not recongnized'). What now? using R14 on windows '98....

bdike,

View Companion works on hp/gl format files, you may need to select a different printer before making plot files.

Regarding ottopdf, the plot limits are taken from the settings of LIMITS in AutoCAD. So if you want a 11 x 17 drawing at a particular scale, figure out what the plot limits would be in the drawing, set LIMITS then save before running ottopdf. (I've encountered some errors in plot window even after doing this though...)

Good luck,
Carl

I couldn't tell if you have tried this yet:
With acad & raster images, the color of your background screen actually matters. If you want the image to be saved as a white background and black lines, use config to change
the color of your background to white.

Figured out the background issue, but nothing I did would result in the appearance of viewport objects in the output. Finally, I found that if I exploded the PV- and PH- layers within the viewports and then mvoed them somewhat then they showed up- weird...
I've taken the advice above and am just using PDF's created from PLT's.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back