Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plumbing Calculation Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfxf

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2002
US
Does anyone know any tool for quick calculating fixture units and sizing the plumbing piping? I have seen once, it is like the "ductulator" for sizing the duct and very easy to carry and use.

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASPE (American Society of Plumbing Engineers) has some wheels that they recently developed. I have not obtained one yet, so I do not know how user friendly they are. I still use the old method of counting and comparing to the tables in the code.

If you are sizing the water pipe, I use the code tables to get the fixture unit to flow rate conversion and then use the Bell & Gosset System Syzer to get the pipe size. I also sometimes use the Cameron Tables for the sizing.

Hope this helps.

I could sure use some sizing help. I have a three story home with full bathrooms on each floor. The upper story has a jacuzzi tub. The piping is 3/4 inch and it seems that we have a pressure problem when more than one faucet is operating. We are on a well and the pressure switch is set for 30-50 psi.

Bill

The way that dometisc water pipes are sized is by counting fixture units. Each water using appliance in a home/commerical space has been assigned a number of fixture units. From there you can calculate the pipe size that should be suppling water. Consult your plumbing code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back