Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plywood shear wall using gage steel wall framing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlflower

Structural
Jun 21, 2002
US
I am an engineer in Southern California looking for ICBO and LA City approval for a shear wall system consisting of plywood attached to steel studs with screws. I have a few projects ahead that will be ideal for such a seismic system, and I think it would be an improvement from the code approved nailed plywood shear panels to wood studs.

I know that there is Federal approval for just such a system, but it is only approved for seismic zones 1 and 2. My progects will be in seismic zone 4.

I am presently conversing with the manufacturer of Grabber screws to see if they have such an approval.

Simpson Strong-tie might also be interested; I am waiting to here from them. By the way, they just got LA City approval for various connectors for gage steel framing (RR25489).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, but I find myself unfairly limited by the requirments of Section 2219. The gage metal allowed is limited to a gage that is thinner than what I would prefer to use. If I wish to use a thicker gage metal for my stud framing, where will I find approval??

A thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread. However, it appears that the City of Los Angeles is just not "up to speed" with regards to gage metal wall framing, let alone to use such a system as a shear wall panel. As it turns out, there are questions with regard to energy and fire requirements that make the use of gage metal framing cost prohibitive. It appears that the gage metal is much less resistant to fire than conventional wood stud framing.

As a result, we are forgoing the use of gage metal wall framing on our projects.

And so, my needs for this thread have been met. If anyone out there desires to continue this thread, feel free to do so.

Your statement:
"It appears that the gage metal is much less resistant to fire than conventional wood stud framing." Does not make since.

While heavy wooed beams would char and retain strength, any substatial fire would consume a 1 1/2 thick pine member in very short order.

There is a product in California that I wish we had in Chicago: Sureboard, a 22 gauge steel sheet laminated to drywall. Better yet, it has been approved by ICBO and the City of Los Angeles for light gauge shear wall design. This may be your solution. Check out the approvals, tests, and design values at:

No, I am not affliated with Sureboard, nor have I used it, but it does look promising.

As far as the fire rateing is concerned it's not always the flame but the heat that affects the strength of the material. Wood can maintain it's strength longer at high heats for a period of time, light gage steel can quickly lose strength when the temperature is high enough.

OK, I'm back. You have "tickled my ears" with promising news.

I have downloaded the ICBO Report and LA City Research Report for Sure-Board Series 200 Structural Panels. My Question is: How do I determine the fire rating of this panel, installed with gage metal wall stud framing? (I am not that familiar with the fire code, so bear with me). These reports say nothing about the fire rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back