Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PMI or PMP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan101

Petroleum
Jun 21, 2004
US
Is it worth going for PMI or PMP certification for an instrument professional. I am mostly involved with design and QA of instrumentation & Controls of small to mid level projects.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting question... Our plant recently went to PMI on piping, but not instruments. And recently we quickly lost the diaphragms of two brand new hastelloy pressure transmitters in chlorine service. We joked that they gave us stainless, but maybe it wasnt' a joke??? To be honest I'm not sure if PMI is destructive or non-destructive testing. I can't see how you'd ID diaphragms if it's destructive. Even so, with the quantity of instruments that go through the plant it seems a tall order to ID every one. We have started to specify the metallurgy of impulse lines in our loop sheets, to ensure that techs don't put stainless where hastelloy or monel was meant to go. I suppose doing PMI would depend on what sort of past consequences of not doing PMI have been, and whether the increased expense is worth the risk. I know that didn't exactly answer your question, but it's actually been on my mind too so i wanted to comment.
Dean

Thought I could field this one,but with DJCherre's comments,I'm completely lost. What do you mean by "PMI"?

If it's "Project Management Institute" (where "PMP" is "Project Management Professional"), you're in the wrong Forum. I could answer, however.

If you're referring to something else, I'd like to know, so I can add it to the database...

. . . Steve (PE - Control Systems, PMP)

ICman, you are on the right track. I was looking for some guidance on Project Management. I appreciate your help in advance.

OK.

I think the PMP is most valuable to PMI, for it makes them money. A lot of it. Not only do they make $$$ from fees, the trainers for the PMP exam charge hundreds of $$ so you can pass it. Then, you have to have (too) many hours of "education" required to maintain your certification, and they charge for that.

My certification will expire in about a year. I doubt if I will be able to renew it, since I'm too lazy to document the hours of "training". Most of it is on the job, anyway, which doesn't count in PMI's book.

I'll get off the soapbox now, and address your question: Is a PMP worthwhile for a Measurement & Control professional?

Simple answer: No.

Unless you're fairly new to PROJECT ENGINEERING and MANAGEMENT, PMI offers nothing new. They teach management techniques and offer solutions to typical problems you might face, but these are often learned as you work on projects (you see what the PM goes thru [wink]). There are several good books available on management and project management, in particular. The PMP exam concentrates on what you can read in "Project Management..." by Kerzner.

The fact that you work on "small to mid level projects" also diminishes the need for a PMP. I am a Senior Project Manager and work on, maybe 20 projects at any one time. These range from minor programming changes to instrumentation specs to the design of entire facilities. I would consider none of them "large" projects. They just don't lend themselves well to the PMI techniques.

I used to work for (several) engineering firms. As part of a team of 10 to 300 people, some projects took many years and cost hundreds of millions of dollars. Each had a distinct beginning and ending and I really wish our Project Managers had PMI training. When I was PM over some large projects, I wished I had some training, but it was all on-the-job.

Project management has nothing specific to do with Instruments & Controls, no more than with baking cookies. That said, I&C work involves almost every aspect of a project, from civil and structural design to profitability. You must learn about everything, it seems, so you can assure your design will be successful. I suggest you study those aspects of a facility design that you are weak on.

While a PMP looks good on your resume (most everyone at the local PMI meetings is there looking for a job), you would do better learning and using Microsoft Project to track your projects, IMHO.

Now, if your company emphasizes a PMP (like mine did) and they are willing to finance training and certification, then go for it. Certainly won't hurt, and you can learn a few things in the process. Otherwise, there are better things you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back