Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PMP after MBA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krikha

Computer
Oct 28, 2013
US
Hello all, I am about to complete my mba through distance learning and now i am looking forward to making a career in project management. I fulfill all the work experience eligibility criterion for pmp. I have two questions:
1. What is scope of doing pmp after mba? will it help me in my career?
2. I've been thinking of taking a training from Simplilearn online which i think is affordable as compared to other institutes. Please check this and let me if its worth the time and money:
Thanks in advance.

Kriti

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Krikha,

In my experience, the PMP will garner you better opportunities than the MBA will. I will be finishing my MBA next month, and my current company will be giving me a small promotion and a 10% raise as a reward. I will not get any extra responsibility, I will just be put in charge of new product development program management. Don't get me wrong, they have encouraged me to finish the degree and have given me many pats on the back about it. However, they have told me in the grand scheme of things with our company, the MBA doesn't really do much for you. The only reason they are giving me anything is because I've focused on the International Business side of the degree, and we are doing quite a bit of new product work with China. Otherwise, I would probably just get a nice frame for my degree and a congrats from my boss.

When I first joined the company, they called me a Program Manager 1 and started me at a nice base salary. Within a month, they signed me up for PMP classes through some independent company we use, and when I finished, they promoted me to Lead Program Manager and I was given a 25% pay increase, which was significant.

I'm sure every company is different, and everyone will have a different point of view, but this is my experience and my thoughts. Take them for what they are.

Definition of irony: A Ford Focus driver with ADD...

Hi Kriti,
I have both my MBA and my PMP. I acquired my MBA first, and I still had a difficult time landing a job that provided the salary that I felt I deserved. After acquiring my PMP, many doors opened. Now you have to keep in mind that by this time I had a a bachelors degree in business management, a minor in computer science, an MBA, had built and sold a couple of small businesses, and had about 15 years of work experience.
But still, acquiring the PMP certification can do nothing but help you!
For more information on that certification, you might try this link:

Hope this helps!

J Black

In a thread awhile back, someone mentioned that their company's front desk person had a P.M.P and was told to take it off of her business card since it kind of made a joke of those in management that had it.

i have both and can tell you that both will be good for you

and yes i took my online classes from there too

if you know a little bit about project management, PMP is very straightforward.

Guys, what I don't see from any of your responses is what does the PMP really add after an MBA?
Yes it might open more doors and looks good on your resume .... etc, but does it really add anything to your knowledge or skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back