Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Podium Transfer Slab - Query on Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB020

Structural
Nov 29, 2023
GI
Please could I get peoples views on what checks are required for the following scenario.

Slab_overview_f7d6az.png

We have a podium transfer slab that is 750mm thick, columns under are shown in red and the base of some 'V' shaped columns over are shown in blue. These columns do not align and in most cases are slightly offset from the columns below, within the u1 (2d from column face) perimeter of the columns under, this perimeter is marked in Red. Design is being carried out to EC2.

I am proposing the following checks:

1. Check punching shear from column over, ignoring effects of the support from the column under. Check at perimeters u0 and u1 (2d from column face).
2. Check punching shear from the column below ignoring the load from the column over purely based on the UDLs on the podium slab. Check perimeters u0 and u1.
3. Check the shear capacity of the slab at the perimeter of the column under, shear stress generated from the point load of the column over, reduce the perimeter to 2 or 3 sides of the column as this is where the load will act on the column.
4. The main query is how to deal with the peak shear between the two sets of columns.
a) Should this be looked at as two way shear, essentially a punching shear check with a non uniform distribution and can this benefit from the shear enhancement factor.​
b) Can this be considered as one way shear using the general shear formula with the shear enhancement factor.​
c) A previous post mentions the use of a strut and tie model, is this suitable in this scenario and if so is there a certain distance where the columns are far enough apart that this approach is not suitable.​
d) Any other methods that need to be checked​

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’d certainly do a one-way beam shear or strut-and-tie check for the point loads over, in addition to the other normal punching checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back