Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point Set - Curve Percentage - does not work as it should

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevethb

Specifier/Regulator
Nov 27, 2008
DE
Hi

I`m trying to create two points on a spline curve at the 33% and 66% of the spline lenght

I use Point Set - Curve Points and Curve Percentage Subtype.

It creates points but when I later on divide original spline with created points -> divided curves are not equal.
Even when you look at the attached picture it clearly shows that points are not distributed equally.

Any ideas why it does not work ?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2e116dc2-311e-4cbd-8080-de9e75c8c59b&file=Point_Set.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Knowing the version of NX you're using would be helpful....

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Hi adkad

Thanks for the tip but

geometric progression works fine but only when you have progression. It will not allow me to place points as "percentage subtype" where I have a list and I could put 33%, 66% and for example 55% in one feature.

Although I could do it in two/three separate features but it`s only a workaround.

It's obviously not working as it should in regards to the location percentage and about all we can provide is a workaround. If that isn't suitable, try calling GTAC and report the bug. It might be fixed in a later release, in which case you'll need to update for that fix to apply, obviously. I would strongly suggest you mention that GTAC look at all the percentage methods other than 0 and 100, because that seems to be where the fault lies in my few trials.

You could use Equal Arc Length and place 4 points starting at 0 and ending at 100, ignore the endpoints and use the 2 between the ends to divide the curve. That's the only method I've found that consistently works through the length of a spline.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I tried Edit --> Curve --> Divide, with the Equal Arclength option, and that seems to work. And it sounds like dividing the curve is what you're actually trying to do, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back