Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polygon tool? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

famouschicken80

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2004
US
Why has a polygon tool not been added to the Drawing toolbar yet? One thing I miss since changing from AutoCAD to SE is the lack of that tool which just makes things easier.

Comments, answers to this one? Such as something I might be missing that makes up for the lack of this tool?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please check out on the thread below:
thread562-23201

I use the feature libray to create all kinds of tools. The only thing I ever used the polygon command in AutoCAD for was a hex shape. Look up feature library in the help menu. Feature libraries give you the ability to do much more than create polygons.

If you would like to see more, just ask.

Also check out C:\Program Files\Solid Edge\Custom

and look for the macro "Hexpro."

I know it's on v14; I'm not sure about earlier versions.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Okay, I finally got it now. fwc was right about checking that earlier thread, but I was still a bit thick about it until swertel made mention of where the macro is.

I then found this link on that former thread:

and saw that you have to do a Tools, Macro, and THEN run the macro from there. So that hexpro macro worked out real nice, and that polygon macro from tlmgi.com was even better.

So thanks everyone for the invaluable input! At last I can make polygons, and fully constrained to boot! Friday is a good day!!!!

One thing about the polygon tool though as I've seen. It's not 100% constrained as the sides and the angles do not have driven dimensions. But that's a small price to pay compared to the usual dozens of clicks it takes to make one normally.

As jdrawlinson mentioned, Feature Library is another good tool to use.

You may want to try this.
1. Create a polygon and constrain it to your requirement.
2. On the Feature Path Finder right click the Protusion and select Copy.
3. Select the Feature Library tab located at the Edge Bar.
4. Right click and select Paste in the Edge Bar.
5. A file will appear as FeatLib1.par, you can rename the file.
6. To use the Feature Library, click and drag the file from Edge Bar into the application window then select a reference plane; the polygon will appear as it is created in Step 1 (with all the constrains) in the selected Plane.

It is possible to store multiple features as a unit. Try creating thin wall on the polygon. (Although on Step 2, you’ll have to select both features.)

Though these files have the same .par extension, they are different from the normal part file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back