Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

polymer used for golf tees 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPAdrinker

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2008
US
We have built a 4 cavity prototype tool for a customer to produce golf tees. They had prototyped some tees using extruded acetal and they seemed to work as required. We have sampled the tool using acetal and the parts are breaking. Acetal being somewhat notch sensitive we have discovered that they are breaking on at the ejector pins. We have also tried PA6 but they also break. The tees need to be strong enough to push into the ground without bending so using a PP probably won't work although we have not tried. Does anyone know what the typical material is that is used when molding golf tees?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe they're molded out of wood, although there is a post-molding machining operation involved...

ABS, perhaps?

Add some filler to increase strength (mica, wollastonite or clay)

Chris DeArmitt

"Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthwhile end."
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Hello,

Should they remain intact after the shoot? Maybe ABS or PC/ABS but I guess that those are too much for the application. I would say that a HDPE would work just fine. It should be stiff enough to be pushed into the ground and shound have enough impact resistance.
I remember that when I was on the university a professor gave us as an example of applicaion of biomaterials a golf tee.
I assume that if can use a biomaterial (w/ low mechanical properties) you can you almost everything.

Where are you injecting the part? The injection point is a weakest point of the part. If you are injecting on the middle of the part for example, for this application can be an issue.

Rg,

P.O.G.

How is the tool configured?

Have used a golf tee tool where the "ejection" was via the "cup" was moulded by a radiussed central ejector pin with a snatch on it, and ejected with the sleeve. The pointy bit was in the fixed half of the tool. Ran no problem, no notches, etc.

It was part of a tool which made sample swatches for an aluminium flake company. Ran them in virtually every "commodity" material (e.g acetal. PP, PC, PET, ABS, HDPE etc)

Cheers

Harry

As Pud says, a lo will depend on the position of the gate and the ejector.

Also, a tee can be made from many materials depending on require "feel" flex impact and height above the round.

Acetal should be fine if the right grade is used. That is why the extruded rod part worked but the moulded parts did not.

For maximum impact strength, high molecular weight and no nucleating agents should be used. Extrusion grades used to make rod are high molecular weight with no nucleating agents, while fast cycling injection grades are very low molecular weight with nucleating agents and lubricants for easy mould release. This has a marked effect on impact strength. Some colours can act as nucleating agents and severely reduce impact strength.

The nylon you tested should normally be tougher than the acetal all things being equal, but the nylon needs to be moisture conditioned before testing. Thorough moisture conditioning can make as much as 300% increase in the impact strength of nylon vs dry as moulded.

PC/ABS also makes a very nice strong golf tee.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back