Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polyphenylene Sulfide (PPS) Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

archamc2

Materials
Nov 24, 2009
US
I'm struggling to find what effects Sulfide has the polymer PPS. The only information that I can find is comparing PPS with PPO (Polyphenylene Oxide). I understand the properties of PPS, such as thermal stability, chemical resistance, viscosity, and flame resistance, but what effect does Sulfide have on those properties. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The shape and dimensions of the polymer backbone and the position and strength of areas of polarity all influence the final properties as it strongly influences the distance between sources of forces of attraction and the strength of the force is proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance.

I don't have detailed knowledge of the exact structure of the polymers you mention, and that aspect is not my real area. I am more an applications guy.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

sodium sulfide is used as a reactant in its production, resulting in the S group on the end of the benzene ring. you can get some crosslinking, so like many rubbers, it may be the site of x-linking (not sure what the real extent of the linkage if any there is thought)

Fox Manufacturing Group (Machining and Molding)

In terms of using the polymer, the effect of the -S- linkage can be ignored. All that matters are the mechanical properties, chemical resistance and thermal resistance.

Don't focus on the chemistry but what the material can do for you. Compare its properties to other polymers free at
P.S. I have a PhD in chemistry which makes that comment even funnier

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back