Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polystrapping Tension Testing Services Needed 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cervantis

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2009
US
I am looking for services to conduct tension tests on poly strapping material. I went to UL and have received on quote, but need another independent source to conduct some pull tests onthis material for comparision of our in house results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have tried a search but did not come up with anything for this material.

Thanks,

Cervatis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

where are you ? there should be literally millions of places able to tension test strapping ? are we talking about a simple strap or a more compicated net ??

Any testing laboratory that does membrane testing (Instron type variable strain rate) can probably do this.

I'm in the southeast US. There are labs in Houston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Birmingham and other locations that can do this type of testing.

I am in South Mississippi. I would have thought the same thing. All I am looking for is the most simple pull test. Straight pull until break. Record the results. UL gave me a quote that made me want to buy a pull tester and go into business for myself. I did a search, but did not come up with an independent lab to provide the test. so I thought ENG-Tips might have a card or know someone that I could request the quote from.

Cervantis

a simple pull test ... anyone near you make cables ? aircraft control cables, construction wire cables, etc ? they'll have a pull test set-up.

how much load are you looking at ? (ie special equipment ?)

why a lab ? what certification are you looking for ? would you witnessing the test be sufficient ??

If your request for quote to UL was as vague as your question here I can understand why the price tag might be so high.

Is there a particular standard that you want your material tested to?

Thanks to all for the information. This will get me going in the right direction.

For rb1957:
We are looking at a range of under 2,000 lbs. The choice of the lab, was used as a descriptive word. Having a simple report in writing for our files for reference for comparison was the hope of having an outside sorce do the work.

For MintJulep:
This was the information I provided UL.

Product Service Description: UL CITS TEST ACME Poly Strapping 1640 GR6WP Per ASTM D 3950-09

Tensile Strength Test & Point Of Failure

Standard(s) & Edition Number for this evaluation: ASTM D 3950-09
and there was a total number of samples to be provided in the request for a quote. About a hundred dollars per pull seemed a bit high, but I have not requested this before either.

This will get me started which is what I needed.

Thanks again for your time and interest..

Best,

Cervantis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back