Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Polystyrene Aggregate as Drain Rock Substitute

AKSherpa

Civil/Environmental
Jan 21, 2005
US
I am researching polystyrene aggregate for use as substitute for drain rock behind a retaining wall.

Have you used this material? Where did you purchase? Cost? Any tips or thoughts on using polystyrene aggregate as drain rock substitute would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

when you say polystyrene aggregate are you referring to concrete mixed with polystyrene, like what is used in some lightweight precast wall panels? So in this instance chunks of concrete/polly or just polystyrene chips?
Concrete as a drainage aggregate is not ideal as it is made up of small particles cemented together and when you place them as drainage aggregate the process of placing them and compacting soil around them will result in them breaking up possibly to the extent that you loose all voids or block the water path. Poly chips are just too compressible and will loose all voids during compaction

Never have seen something like this used for the application that you describing. Polystyrene seems to be so light that one would never be able to keep it in place. Is there a particular material that you are looking into?

This is a detail of the particular fill situation we are currently working with. This situation appears it might have potential for a lightweight material to work as far as buoyancy.

I have also been wondering if there are other materials that might be heavier and not buoyant that could be used for drain rock substitute. I started looking into the polystyrene when I saw it on the NDS drain tile product. We encounter similar situation in other areas of our work that require drain rock such as in gthe bottom of airport light cans. We are in an area that is very remote and the cost for procesing drain rock is very high.

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8f1097fd-c027-40c3-a044-a529ecbcbfff&file=Retaining_Wall_Detail.pdf
You should consider a sheet drain behind the lagging, bring the reinforced fill up near it, and eliminate the drainage rock.

With the depth to fixity shown, that guardrail won't have much resistance.

There are other alternatives that could work, polystyrene chips blow away during construction, but more importantly will compress when you compact above them and there will be no voids for water to run through
there are other alternatives like Link

LittleInch,
I am loking for something similar to the packaging "peanuts" but more durable and heavier. I thoiught maybe something existed out there these days that could be used as a drain rock or filter media for backfilling walls or used in onsite wastewater trenches. It does not have to be polystyrene based, I started there since I saw some products on the internet that used "polystyrene aggregates" wrapped around drain tile.
Thanks

Back