Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polyurethane Primer - Hexavalent Chromium Inquiry 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

loucapa

Industrial
Aug 20, 2012
US
In one of our Industrial processes we utilize a product called PR-420 Part B - I have made numerous inquiries with the manufacturer PPG Aerospace PRC-Desota, to no avail. I am seeking information regarding 'Silicic acid, chromium lead salt' (CAS # 11113-70-5) and whether this chromium based chemical constituent is in fact Hexavalent. My research has led to it being only trivalent however i was hoping that of the pool of industrious engineers out there, one may be able to provide objective quality evidence to confirm or deny my claim. So the question is - is the chromium Hexavalent or not? Thanks in advance for any research or information anyone can provide. I apologize if this is the incorrect forum.

Lou

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes thank you, i noticed the 6 bonds two of the four bonds being a double bond. However i am curious as to what the oxidation state of the compound is. I have not performed organic chemistry analytics in a while and i was wondering if the structure indicated it was a plus 6 or plus three - given Cr, Si,Pb will be +1, +1, +1 and the 6 oxygen atoms will be -6 that maybe its trivalent but this is merely a guess.

thanks again for the input.

Lou

Thanks TVP for the information and resource. The manufacturer did finally get back to me and confirmed it is hexavalent like you stated, thanks.

lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back