Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pond Backfilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergionova

Oct 27, 1999
US
I have an assignment to calculate the volume of fill required to backfill an excavation/ pond/ and trench. I know the volume is related to the desired compaction based on the future construction above the backfilled area, but I'd like to know what if anything I should be weary of or look at for as far as calculations, permitting (So Fla area), etc.

Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are going to backfill a pond be wary of the mud and silt at the bottom. If you are just going to grass over then no problem but if you intended to put a building on top then dig out the soft mud etc before backfilling with stone otherwise you will get settlement problems. If the pond is in clay then install some land drainage as it will just act as a natural sump and fill with water.

You will want to consider the unconsolidated materials in the pond bottom's volume change.
Wetlands fill permit requirements - Probably not going to fall into Nationwide Fill permit 26 , Corp's of Engineers as volume will get you on a project of any size at all. I beleive the max volume is(was) 50 cy w/o requiring a permit, but I think it has been or is changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back