Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pond outlet structure modeling question

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you Peter. I had the same thought as you (and yes, the structure has two outlet culverts inside) but I couldn't see where I could model the inlet orifice at an angle. Finally figured out that I had an older version of HydroCAD that did not allow for this. The newest version does and the problem is solved! Thanks again!

Not sure you will receive this Peter but hope you do as you responded to my initial post. I now have to modify this same outlet structure by putting a v-notch weir plate on it. I now am unsure as how to model this v-notch at an angle like the existing opening. The only outlet category I see that allows an angled outlet is the Orifice/Grate which only appears to allow rectangular openings. Any thoughts?

As a rough approximation you could use a Vee weir with the vertical height of the sloped weir, and set the discharge multiplier to allow for the longer crest length (along the slope) Otherwise you may have to do the hydraulics for the sloped v-weir by hand and enter it into HydroCAD as a custom outlet device.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Back