Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pool pump safety units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rippst20

Civil/Environmental
Jan 28, 2020
TR
Hi,I own a pool in my house.I like to take precautions for swimmers safety.The electric box which feeds the pool pump, and a hydrofore pump is located below the ground level.My question is.. What is the correct order of connection between the main switch, the contactor,GFCI unit.I have some suspicion about grounding,hence I got some weak electricity when had a contact with pump engine metal casing,I thought I would be safe as there is GFCI Unit.I had it fixed it with an electrician,The electricity panel box with all the units in it are exposed to high humidity,what is the common practice to check the units are in good condition, Do I need to replace the safety main switches when they are exposed to high humidity,The electricity feeding the electricity panel box has three phases.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"GFCI" is a specific term that only applies to installations in North America, and a GFCI is required to trip at no more than 6mA of current. You should have never felt anything when touching the motor case.

But elsewhere in the world, ground fault devices, known as RCDs (Residual Current Detectors) or RCBOs (RCDs with a circuit breaker) are allowed to have trip levels of up to 30mA and you can "feel" 20mA of current without it tripping the RCD. That doesn't mean the RCD is not working, it's just a difference in what is considered "safe".

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Call the electrician who installed this and have him measure the voltage to ground from that motor as well as explain how each part is supposed to function. Perhaps there is another source of voltage to that motor housing besides the wiring that the GFCI can control.

My limited experience is that GFCIs tend more to nuisance trip due to humidity than allow dangerous conditions.

Thanks for your reviews, I think RCDs are must as long as they are working properly,are RCDs mounted following the contactor unit.Can the contactor unit partially do the job of Thermal protector, I will be glad If you text some of your ideas about these iasues. THanks all, I get some idea from your reviews as I will talk to my electrician about these important problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back