Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor SW2004 Drawing Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttmjr

Industrial
Feb 11, 2002
It appears from a several other posts that I am not the only one finding miserable performance in Solidworks 2004 SP1.0, primarily in drawings. I have reproduced the poor performance on three different PCs trying to fix it. I discovered the problem on my 2.4 GHZ P4 (1 GB RAM) with its NVIDIA Geforce 5200 FX video. I figured the NVIDIA card was the problem. But I also have the problem on a similarly configured P3 running an Oxygen GVX1 video card (a Solidworks favorite card). Has anyone found an answer for this yet? I have tried software OpenGL and adjusting my video card performance settings to no avail.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

off topic "It is my Dutch name in short and my age when I joined this group. But I do like airplanes ;-)"

For all that have already installed SP2.0, pay attention to SW warning:

"Please note: SolidWorks Service Pack 2.0 has been temporarily removed from the web to correct an issue with the PDF translator (SPR 201165)."

It's really annoying (it's not only with SW) the fact that every SP brings new bugs.

I wonder about organization and quality assurance that software companies use to develop their products and products revisions. It's something like seling a car with a project revision in the gearbox causing the failure of the steeringwheel column - that doesn't make sence!

Regards

I had a similar problem with Solidworks 2004 (using an nVidia Ge Force FX 5200 graphics card), except for mine wasn't with 2D drawings, but rather with parts and assemblies--and not very complex ones at that. I could only have like one window open, or else all open Solidworks windows would just be all blue and I couldn't see any lines or anything.

So, anyway, I fixed the problem by doing the following:

Tools -> Options -> System Options (tab) -> Performance

Then check the 'Use Software OpenGL' checkbox.

BY checking that you turned off your video card. Now your CPU is taking the hit for your Video. Your problem is your video card. It's not an approved video card.

GeForce FX 5900\5600\5200 = [COLOR=dark yellow]Yellow
OS Driver Date SW
Win2K 6.14.10.5672 05/11/2004 2004
WinXP 6.14.10.5672 05/11/2004 2004
Win2K 6.14.10.4403 08/28/2003 2004
WinXP 6.14.10.4403 08/28/2003 2004
[/color]

see - - and get an approved card. Then you can get better performance and yoru CPU will work on calcualations instead of both video and calcs.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back