Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portable gage/fixture for Runout measurements??

Status
Not open for further replies.

justkanishk

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2007
US
I work in an electric motor manufacturing company and occasionally we get the runout issues on our motor housings. Currently we measure runouts on a boring mill with a locater plate. First we check the runouts on the plate and then set the complete housing vertically with a machined face on the locater. Then we check for runouts on top face and turn. Sometimes we have to shim the lower face on the locater plate.

I am wondering if it is possible to get a fixture on which we can set the housings and check runouts with a dial-gage. This will keep my boring mill free for regular production jobs.

Any ideas from experts ??? Maybe a laser equipment or some rigid fixture ????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't you bore the end-bells individually, machine the ends of the main housing, and expect the finished assembly's bores (and stator ID) to all have acceptable runout/concentricity? If I had a test bar with narrow journals to "pick up" each bore, and those journals were pushed inward to allow a means of indicating the runout of the rest of each bore, I'd worry how well the stator ID was centered.

I'd probably make a test arbor with snug fitting, carefully made plugs to simulate the bearing ODs. Kind of a go-no-go gage

Tmoose, thanks for the reply.

The problem is that we do not machine the hosuings (yokes)here. We purchase them as finished products from China. We get into this problem when a motor is being tested and we find problems because of mechanical runouts. So I am thinking of having a stock insoection of some kind without engaging the boring mill.

What tolerances are on the drawings?

I'd make a fixture with 3 blocks to pilot the end-bell/yoke register diameter and face with a test indicator for the bearing bore. NO great precision is required for the block machining. Might need a $50 fixture for each style end bell.

The error might be in the stator housing. V-blocks and an indicator to check the winding bore. Axial runout of the end faces would be one referenced to the other.

I would suggest a fixture gage that would locate on the datums that must be on location with the bore. You also add a precision bushing to the fixture that is located where the true position of the hole should be. Apply a custom made sweep unit to the bushing and the indicator located on the sweep unit will give you the relationship between the bushing and the hole in the housing. There is also a functional route that can be taken as well, by adding a functional pin that would fit the bushing with the end of the pin ground to the diameter of the hole minus the positional tolerance. has a fixture like this on their home page. While at their home page click on "SWEEPS" and it will lead you to more pics, and a description of sweep units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back