Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portable moisture meter for plastic granulates - Where? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomysux

Industrial
Jun 9, 2003
SI
Hello to everyone!

I'm looking for a portable moisture meter for plastic granulates (raw material). I searched a hundreds of pages but can't find where to buy it.

THX tomysux

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might also consider one of the following units made especially for measuring residual moisture in plastic granulate :

- Aquatrac (Brabender Measuring and Control Systems)
- Plastic-Analyser (Mann + Hummel ProTec)
- Moisture Analyzer HB43 (Mettler-Toledo)
- FMX HydroTracer (Aboni)

We have a very good experience with the Aquatrac to measure residual moisture after drying our Polycarbonate.

How portable are you talking about? Arizona Instruments (Tempe, AZ) has a small tabletop unit that is excellent. I have used them for years.
Mike Glynn
763-428-6180

This may not be appropriate but moisture sensitive plastic granulate require drying prior to processing. I've seen how effective dew-point meters can be in assessing granulate moisture content. For example, by rigging-up a dew-point meter to a desiccant dryer you can ensure that copolyester materials meet -40C dew point prior to processing. These hand held devices are not cheap.

The other methods sound fine but are they portable?

I suggst you contact the companies that produce material dryers. They should be able to recommend or sell you a tester that works in the range you need.
General purpose hygrometers may have a range of measurment much greater than the moisture levels you will be measuring.
I use alltheweb.com for searching the web.

tomysux - what type of polymer(s) are you interested in determining moisture levels? It has been my experience that handheld moisture analyzers (such as units for determining m% levels in concerte, soil, air, grain, etc.) do not quite fit the plastics applications. This is solely based on the fact that dried resins generally need to have no more than 0.x or 0.0x moisture, based on the manufacturer's spec and your own needs. Handheld units just can't deliver that level of resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back