Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portable RS-485 / Modbus Master... hand held?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWWJD

Electrical
Jan 26, 2011
US
Hello all,
I would like to find a small wall mounted / almost handheld GUI capable of controlling several VFDs via RS-485, without the need for PLC interface, etc. Just something small, simple.

Does such a critter exist? Any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks,
~Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's a little open-ended. What size (power) VFD? Define GUI... an LCD touchscreen or several knobs. What is the intended purpose?

Several of Hitachi's VFDs are controllable through a removable front panel using RS-485.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Red Lion's HMI line, G3, has extensive Modbus master capability.

In fact, Red Lion takes the display off the HMI line, and packages the communications in a DIN rail mount box called the Data Station which is great for blind Modbus'ing.

Give Red Lion a call and they'll tell you what you need.

You can find plenty of them that have RS-485 ports but the trouble comes in with the software to implement the control commands for the drives.

There may be standards but each manufacturer seems to wanna go for the whole pie and come up with their own protocol.

If it's speed control only the good ole 4-20 ma is present on most drives.

I once though of using the Rabbit BL1810 for drive control but i would have had to write my own C code for the protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back