Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Position of ON and OFF switches on control panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard1st

Industrial
Nov 1, 2002
GB
Can anybody tell me if there is a Standard which dictates the position of power ON and OFF switches on equipment control panels?

I work in UK, and general European procedure is that OFF should be mounted to the top right, but have now been challenged and (to my shame) cannot find anything in writing.

Help, please!
RAC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's no US standard that I'm aware of.

Typically, for toggle switches mounted vertically, ON should be up per NEC; that's about the only standard I'm aware of. But that would not seem to apply to your question.

Thanks peebee.
I had to alter a panel in Germany many years ago, so have followed the same pattern ever since. Unfortunately cannot find it in European Normalised or NFPA now. Maybe it was a particular German or customer standard.
Thanks for your trouble.
Richard

From MIL-STD-1472F:

5.4.1.2.1 Consistency of movement. Direction of control movement shall be consistent with the related movement of an associated display, equipment component, or vehicle. In general, movement of a control forward, clockwise, to the right, up, or pressing a control, shall turn the equipment or component on, cause the quantity to increase, or cause the equipment or component to move forward, clockwise, to the right, or up. Valve controls are excepted (see 5.4.1.2.4).

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back