Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Position/Re-position boxes in NX 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerbosos

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2011
US
I've been using NX 7.5 for about 8 months now and wondered if there is any setting to get rid of the little distance boxes that get in the way when trying to grab the dynamic WCS handles? They are really annoying?

I don't remember them showing up and jumping in front of the cross hairs in UG/NX versions I've used in the past.

Thanks,

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks John, I didn't know about the F3 key input. I'll keep that in mind. BTW, does the keystroke make them go away for just that instance? or for the entire time the component position function is active?

Also is there a setting I can toggle that will make them go away for an entire session? I tend to drag components around for placement and find the distance boxes redundant.

Thanks,

Steve

The 'F3' key will only effect the current operation. And I'm not aware of any other option which will disable the on-screen entry widgets for more than the current operation (by using the 'F3' key).

Note that the 'F3' was really designed to 'hide' the current active dialog, which in the case of manipulating the dynamic CSYS, are the little on-screen boxes, but it control the display of ANY dialog. Pushing the 'F3' will hide the current dialog, pressing 'F3' again will unhide it. And while the dialog is hidden it's still active so if you're entering values or making selections they will be recorded even if you don't see the entries taking place, but the status line will help you keep track of what's happening and what the system is expecting you to do next.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Any way we can get NX product development add a setting to toggle them off for a whole session in the next release? or keep them but have them pop up outside of the selection area by default? Because in my design POV, they are almost completely useless. I've tried dragging them out of the way but they always pop back in the next time.

I've never been a big user of the hotkeys in UG. I prefer to use the menus or icons.

Does the F3 function have a dialog box or another way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Steve

Nope, 'F3' is it. As for disabling on-screen data entry widgets, more and more functions are depending on on-screen entries so this could become a constraint or perhaps even counterproductive if it were implemented without some additional changes to those functions which depend heavily on on-screen entry widgets, which I'm not sure would be a good use of our limited resources, but if you really want development to consider this, please contact GTAC and have them open an ER (Enhancement Request).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Thanks John, I will contact GTAC. Are they by any chance located over in Cypress with you?

Also, are enhancement requests (once blessed) rolled into a big wad with the next release or is it something accomplished with a software patch?

In the meantime, F3 it is.

Steve

GTAC, as the 'G' implies, is a 'Global' organization and while it is true that the Cypress office has a large contingent of GTAC personnel, it's no the only place where their people are located.

And please be aware that Enhancement Requests are just that, Requests. There are NO guarantees that an ER will be implemented, only that it will be reviewed and it's usefulness judged along with that of other requests competing for limited resources available to implement these sorts of changes. Siemens PLM Software reserves the right to CLOSE any ER by assigning it a status of 'No Plans' if it's seen as not being consistent with the longterm direction of NX.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

If you create an ER, you might ask GTAC to reference ER 6208879, which is CAM specific, bu tmay be good for all.

This is a request for a customer default for the initial display, which could be set to off. F3 would still take you through the various display states - this ER would only change the initial one.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back