Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

positioning asemblies 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swforge

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Good morning All,
We have a number of assemblies such as cylinders, press units, pick and place units, etc. which are mated to allow movement to the their respective extreme positions generally using coincident mates. Configurations provide the options for these positions and work well.
In cases where an intermediate position needs to be shown i.e. somewhere within the defined extremes of position, I am trying a limit mate to allow free movement within the mechanical limits of the assembly. These assemblies are brought into the next level as subs with the “free” configuration selected there and flexible. I then use a set of position control planes to define tooling positions, and mate the freely configured sub assembly to these control planes. Sometimes it will work, but mostly this method produces mate errors.

If the desired tooling positions are at the extremes of the sub, the appropriate configuration is selected with no problems. It is only when I need the intermediate position when I have a problem. Since the subs are standards I do not what to create a new sub for any change in positioning, nor add configurations for the unlimited number of possible positions.

Any thoughts on how to produce any given position of a sub assembly controlled from the top level? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have to get rid of your limit mate. For the purposes of over-defining mates, SW considers a limit mate to be fully defining along its direction of motion, even though it allows move movement. You can confirm this by looking at the "limit mated" component in the feature tree: there is no "(-)" symbol to show that it is not fully defined. Therefore, when you attempt to add another mate to control the component in that same direction (even if the position is within permissible motion) SW throws up an "overdefined" error.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

swforge,

You can also use the tick box on the mate properties labeled "Use for positioning only" to move the part held by the limit mate to the required position.

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

John H. Dunten, CD
Certified Drafter

Another note: if you want the assembly "watch" for the possibility of the subassembly traveling outside it's limits, you could add a sensor.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back