Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Positive displacement sliding vane pump wear analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivoryhorseman

Aerospace
Feb 5, 2013
GB
Hi all- I am currently working on the development of a positive displacement sliding vane pump. The vanes in the pump are made up of PEEK. As part of the development testing, we have performed endurance testing on the pump and wear on the pump was calculated (wear was calculated by measuring the dimensions of the PEEK vanes pre and post testing). We are trying to define an acceptable wear limit for the PEEK vanes after which the performance would degrade for the vane. One approach would be to test the pump until the performance starts to degrade (which is an exhaustive approach in terms of resources) is there any analytic approach in determining the permissible wear limit for a sliding vane pump.

Your help is much appreciated.

PS: I have wear data for 100 hours of endurance testing, which possibly could be scaled for any no hours.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are showing and can measure vane wear after 100 hrs I would suggest you have a major problem on your hands.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Artisi- thanks for the reply.

The magnitude of wear measured in the PEEK vanes is negligible after 100 hrs of testing. The performance is satisfactory for the pump at his point of time with plenty of margin. At some point with the wear increasing the pumps performance will start to degrade, I am trying to estimate that permissible wear limit for the vanes after which the pump will degrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back