Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possibly a very silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalileoG

Structural
Feb 17, 2007
CA
Hello all,

I have a very silly question that I would like to pose. I have a steel beam with a simple connection, clip connection bolted to the web and welded to an embedded plate within a concrete wall. The weld connecting the angle and the embedded plate is inadequate, because the embedded plate is only within the top 5" of the 24" beam. My supervisor states that we can add an angle seat at the bottom flange of the beam, but I am not sure how that will be able to transfer the shear? (I can certainly visualize the effectiveness of the seat, but theoretically, I thought shear is only carried mostly by the web of the beam? I am a confused! ;(

Thanks,

Clansman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about welding a plate to the original embed plate that drops down to carry the beam, and anchor at the bottom to take any rotation, but the plate takes the shear back to the original embed. Yes, you would have to take the beam down, or support it and hack it up with a blue wrench.

Anyone ever done this?

yougstructural

Ok if you introduce the seat support together with the cleat you introduce a moment connection and could potentially damage the panel no arguments there. So you would introduce slots in the holes in the web cleats?

Just wonder for top restraints if there is a better method of restraining the top flange laterally without slotting holes (which may or may not be very satisfactory)and introduce a moment connection ? Been wondering that for a while on a job Im doing at present.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back