Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Post-Cast Anchor in Thin Concrete (Need Product Recommendations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P1ENG

Structural
Aug 25, 2010
US
This is less a engineering question and more a product question. I have someone wanting to anchor to an existing 3" thick, light-weight slab in seismic design category D (cracked concrete). I can't find any anchor that is tested in anything less than 3.25" (1/4" Hilti KB-TZ2). LRFD shear load per anchor is very small (70 lbs) and no uplift. It's such a small load, I'm not worried about any anchor that is decided upon, but showing it to work on paper is something else. So any products that I can use in light-weight cracked concrete that is only 3" thick?

If not, I was thinking about using an anchor rated for use in CMU thinking that would be conservative and hoping the AHJ wouldn't argue?

Juston Fluckey, SE, PE
Engineering Consultant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Enable said:
Have you tried looking at Hilti KH-EZ Screws? You can get the 1/4" to work in ~2" of concrete and they are rated for seismic applications.

Looking at ESR-3027, the 1/4" anchor requires 3.25" thickness:
Capture_ykdk1i.jpg

Juston Fluckey, SE, PE
Engineering Consultant

My apologies. I erroneously assumed given the thickness and light-weight concrete that this was concrete over a metal deck, which only requires a minimum thickness of 2-1/2" for the 1/4" KH-EZ. Nothing else comes to mind unfortunately.

Hilti HDI-P TZ might work: Link. If not, perhaps you can justify with a load test. Here's a thread dealing with a similar situation: thread507-361097.

Deker,
Thanks! That one looks promising. I'll pursue that one if the client comes back and confirms the 3" thickness. They told me 3" but they originally said 4". So I just want to make sure they don't really have a little more than 3" which would solve everything.

Juston Fluckey, SE, PE
Engineering Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back