Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post fabrication heat treatment of cold formed SS 316L head

Status
Not open for further replies.

vessexst

Mechanical
May 18, 2019
PK
thread794-380626

Referring to sharmas comment, Does it mean that there is no requirement of PFHT for 316L material regardless of any strain precentage and temperature?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. Review UHA-44 again. Be aware of code case 2577 allowing 316L to be used up to 649°C (or 1200 F), which is beyond that specified in Sect. II-D.

@XL83NL: I did not find in UHA 44, if PFHT is required for a head formed of SA 240 316L plate when the EFE elongation is 15% or 25% for example. What I interpret from table UHA 44 is that there is no PFHT required for SA 240 316L (NOT 316), for any percentage of strain calculated as per UG 79.

Do you have something to share on this?? If I am interpreting the code wrongly, please advise on the same.

This might be a glitch in the Code due to the Code Case. Normally UNS N31603 isnt allowed for temp. ranges where PFHT would be required.
Discuss with your AI, but Id propose the following: assume the same chemistry as 31600 (as theyre usually dual certified) - furthermore, there's analogy between 304 and 304L. Apply the Code Case, provided youre applicable temp. range is beyond the allowable from Sec IID. Based the PFHT requirements on table UHA-44 using 31600 material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back