Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Post-installed anchor edge distance in top of concrete on metal deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronMcD

Structural
Aug 20, 2010
US
We are attempting to provide guidance for anchoring a manufacturer's skylight frame on concrete on metal deck.

The manufacturer's frame has a flange that sits on the rough opening. The flange has holes for 1/2" anchors, 2 1/8" from the edge of shimmed opening. So ~ 1 3/4" from center of anchor to edge of concrete deck.

This appears to be less than the minimum for any anchor. Even Titen HD anchors, according to the ESR, need to be 1/4" or 3/8" to install in the top of deck (1/2" not permitted) and edge distances are 3 1/2" and 3" (not sure why it's less for the bigger anchor).

The skylight can't move sideways or down. So really any positive attachment to keep it from blowing out of the opening is fine. But I can't find any legal attachments. Any ideas for a legal attachment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I looked at Tapcon and the min edge distance is 2" so I assume that won't work either. Perhaps you could post install some thin plate around the perimeter and "clamp" the frame to the deck? That's similar to how we sometimes attach a steel frame skid to a slab when there aren't bolt holes.

Would the Hilti Kwik HUS-EZ screw anchor work? They have a minimum edge distance of 1 1/2" for the 3/8" diameter & 1 3/4" for the larger sizes.

The edge distance is 1 3/4" typically for Titen, but for some reason they list a much larger edge distance for the top side of concrete on metal deck.

Absent an ESR, ACI uses 6d, and minimum edge distance can be reduced if designed for a reduced diameter complying with the smaller edge distance.

Is it better to have them order something direct from China without a report so it meets code?? Lol.

RenHen said:
Would the Hilti Kwik HUS-EZ screw anchor work?
Yes! Table 9, installed on top of concrete on metal deck, 1/2" anchor with 3" nominal embedment, 1 3/4" minimum edge distance.

Interesting. The Hilti ESR has a note below the "top of concrete fill on metal deck" table, stating that for other diameters and embedment depths, refer to the other main table. Simpson does not have a similar note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back