Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

POST INSTALLED ANCHORS IN BLOCK MASONRY

Tstruct

Structural
May 14, 2023
PK
Hello,
I have a task where I have to check a design of a steel signage structure to be mounted on a 6" thick block masonry wall. The anchor bolts are post installed expansion bolts. I am unable to find a specific code (ACI or any other respective USA code) on this matter. What I found is ACI 318 do talk about anchorage to concrete, but I am not sure if it is applicable to block masonry? Also another code TMS 402 "BUILDING CODE REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIFICATIONS FOR MASONRY STRUCTURES", but this code talks about cast in place anchors only. Please help me out in this regard, refer me to a respective code/book.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally, I would start with an anchor manufacturer (i.e. Hilti, Simpson, Dewalt), and review their products, through their technical data and ICC-ES reports (which will reference the design criteria used).

There are different products for hollow versus fully grouted - and I think that many products are only for use in 8" nominal block.

Look into the profis design suite by Hilti, they have design tools into masonry for both cast in place and post-installed.

I am so disappointed that how this issue is left unattended by ACI and other American codes (as I am only aware of them).
@jjl317 and EngDM The designer (vendor) is using "Rawlplug" bolts so I tried their software but there is no block masonry option available there. They are only dealing with brick masonry which is not applicable to my case.
Any more help is much appreciated.

I recommend taking a look at the Hilti "Post Installed Anchors in Masonry" Design Guide (available online) as it will clarify how the various building codes address the design of these components.

Is your masonry solid grouted? If not, expansion bolts will probably not work.

You need to look to the manufacturer's literature.

JLNJ said:
You need to look to the manufacturer's literature.

This this this.

I know it isn't directly related, but there was a thread earlier this year (thread507-520923) where dealing with manufacturers proprietary products was discussed. If you are forced to use these "Rawlplug" anchors, then the designer should be providing calculations or demonstrating of code compliance. I wouldn't be stamping anything proprietary unless I could recreate the results myself via codified equations, or in the case of tested values, verify that tests were carried out in a code compliant fashion.

Back