Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Post Installed Anchors to Circular Concrete Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookowski

Structural
Aug 29, 2010
US
I've got a condition where I need to connect a new steel beam to an existing 24" circular column. Beam rxns are about 30k ultimate. This is a renovation. The original building drawings showed 22" sq. 7ksi columns and we had designed plates with post installed anchors to support the new beam. But after demo we've found that the two columns are 24" round. I'm not seeing a simple way to make a connection anymore for this magn of load. I can add full height steel posts in front of the concrete as a last resort but it'll be a change from what we had designed so I'm trying to vet my options. Anyone have ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the post installed anchor and end plate connection works with a square column, there is no reason it won't work with a round column. You just need to shape the plate to fit.

Edit: On second thought, and after reading the earlier thread, the beam is between two circular columns, so constructability is the issue rather than strictly capacity.

I looked at that old thread and I'm going to add a steel column, probably sim to the channel detail that kootk had. That was my inclination but it's a last minute change so I was beating it to death before switching. Thanks for sharing that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back