Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post Installed Concrete Anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvshep

Structural
Sep 6, 2007
US
For buildings, the governing code (IBC) sends you to ACI 318 Appendix D for post installed concrete anchors which only allows you to use approved anchor types (widely used adhesive anchors are not included as an approved type). My questons is, when using post intstalled anchors on bridges, does AASHTO also send you to ACI 318 Appendix D, requiring you to use only the approved anchor types also?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

D2.2 says that, among other things, adhesive anchors are not included in this commentary. Just use the values published by the manufacturer. I assume you are talking about Hilti and/or Powers.

The DOT in your state may have an approved anchor list. I would expect you to have to conform to that first. Check the DOT website first before assuming you can just use anything.

Not all anchors on the market are consistent for use with the current ACI 318-05 Appendix D. Anchor manufacturers are working to test their adhesive products in a way such that they are able to be consistent with the cracked section tests.

What are you using the anchor for? Load types?

I would contact Hilti or Simspon Stong tie as they are the farthest along with their work towards approval and go from there.

Engineering judgement is certainly still governing, but we must respect the codes.

Unless we missed your question entirely - are you just wondering if AASHTO references ACI318-05? I don't have a copy of the 07 revision, so I can't answer if that is the question. Anyone else?

Daniel Toon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back