Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post Pocessing Modal Analysis (Line graph question)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harishamid

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2012
US
Hello All

I've recently started using Mechanica (wildfire 4.0) for prelimanary analyses, instead of ANSYS. Just to verify results, I am running a modal analysis on a cylinder to get displacement distribution along the length of the cylinder.

I get results, and they match my calculations. Now I want to plot a displacement graph; Y-axis showing displacement, and X-axis showing length of cylinder. To get that, what I know, I need to define a line through or on the cylinder. I have tried making a sketch line, datum line, and even axis, through the center of cylinder, but Mechanica doesnt let me choose that line for graph. I guess because that line is not a part of cylinder, but an arbitrary sketch.

My question: Is there a way to do this? How can I get a line displacement plot along the length of cylinder?

Thanks!

Haris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the geometry is always going to be simple I would use beams instead of solids but one way I know for sure is that if you place a volume region on the end of the cylinder in the shape of a quarter circle and extrude through the cylinder. This will place a valid geometrical edge with element nodes where you are interested and you can then select it for graph results definition. I am sure there are other ways to do it possibly with measures but this is the method that Ive use the most.

Hope that helps,

- J -

Thanks for the reply. No, the actual geometry is going to be pretty complicated. Also, I tried making a separate volume within cylinder. It increases the number of elements significantly. With actual model, it will take forever to finish the simulation.

You could create a surface region by sketching (projecting, or whatever method is convenient for your geometry). Once the surface region exists (i.e. the surface is split) then you will be forcing element edges to be created along this geometry. When you postprocess you'll be able to select this geometry in order to provide the x-axis for your displacement plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back