Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post processing help in ANSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsoreng

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2010
CA
I am modelling a plastic part in ANSYS 12.2

I applied mesh,connections, forces and suports.

I solved and got solution

I applied a froce of 1200N

Max stress was at 206 MPa

UTS of material is at 135 MPa

I need to find the force (which should be less then 1200N) at which the part will fail, any way other then trail and error, to find that out?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For ex UTS of material is at 135 MPa, and I apply force of 1200N, accoring to the counters in ANSYS the Max stress is 206 MPa at one spot it means its gona fail there.

I need to find a force that would generate stress within UTS of material.

No. Just because a material reaches "a stress" of/beyond UTS under load doesn't mean it will "fail". What if a material is perfectly plastic - stress is meaningless in this respect. Strain (equivalent or instantaneous depending on the loading) is generally used to assess this, but you need a justification based on defined criteria.

I ask again, fail how? Fail a code? Fail by plastic collapse? Fail by plastic damage or other damage mechanisms? You need to think carefully about understanding and prescribing failure criteria for this design/structure/material/loading. If you want to use "UTS of stress" as your failure criteria then fine, but it's not something that I would be happy to provide as a justification.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back