Post processing in Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckcab

Automotive
Jul 28, 2008
SE
I have a question about post processing in Workbench:

For various reasons I do not run my analyses from within Workbench (customized Perl scripts that does this and other stuff outside of WB) and I wonder if there is some way of post-processing within WB anyway since classic is a little bit ancient.

1.) I do my mesh in WB.
2.) I create a run file with loads etc. which I launch from the command prompt executing Ansys in batch.

The results received in this manner (.db .rst etc) is it possible in any manner to read these in WB for post-processing ?

Best regards

Live Long and Prosper !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe it's possible, but the scripts you write can be written in APDL and used in "Classic" just as easily. You may consider Classic as "ancient" but it is only the GUI that could be considered as this. Classic is still the only interface with ANSYS that gives you access to the complete functionality of the ANSYS code.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Hi Drej,
you are absolute right about the functionality in Classic; it is all in there. However, myself I do not use neither WB nor Classic (the GUI) but only the solvers I do my models in Ansa and post-process in Metapost since I think it is the most efficient way to work for my applications. However, I have colleagues who wants to make use of the scripts I create (mostly using Perl) to automise complete processes (pre-processing, analysis and post-processing). But when it comes to the GUI what is really the thing you use when post-processing results it is a fact that Classic has not followed the development within the field. In this context WB is a bit more modern and lean to work with. In my opinion I think it ought to be possible to post-process an analysis in WB provided you have the .rst file (possibly the .db file as well) but I do not really know how to. Unfortunately, WB is an integrated "monster" that might not allow for anything but the "correct path". This is my question. Myself I am fairly new to Ansys, or really a newbie, (just one year and a half approx) so I do not know the software too well yet.

Regards
PO

Live Long and Prosper !

On the contrary, WB may look more 'lean' or 'modern' but it still doesn't do everything that ANSYS does and that the most advanced analysts want to do - this is the most important thing. For advanced analysts, WB is considered an FEA black box which restricts the level of user control, and the WB post-processor is nowhere near as developed as it should be. Try doing basic tasks such as selecting individual elements or an element group or changing to another element type outside the WB defaults - you can do this but it takes additional scripting (sometimes lots) or you have to import the model into ANSYS. WB still has a lot of work that needs to be done to give you the control that ANSYS has. A lot. That said, it does have its benefits such as better CAD integration and more robust meshing.

As I say, you don't need to work with WB to solve your problem. You can script in PERL or whatever language you need to but using APDL is the easiest answer if you're working with .db and .rst files.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

I am really sorry for this Drej, but I do not have neither the time nor the wish to argue about APDL, Classic or whatever. My personal opinion is that both Ansys Classic and WB are cr*p and I do not use neither of them. In this context I mean the GUIs and not the APDL language or the Ansys solver both of which I, as an old Abaqus/Nastran user, like more and more over time. Meshing and modelling is not comparable to e.g. Ansa or Hypermesh for the structures I work with. It is just not possible to swiftly create a satisfying mesh using APDL commands within a reasonable time. This is a fact.

However, depending on what industry you are involved in Classic or WB might be satisfying or even superior at some applications. When it comes to my field of application they are not. I am sorry if this hurts but it is just a fact.

I fully agree with you about WB; the black box is not for me. I have worked with squares and triangles for 15+ years now and will stick to my ASCII input decks until I retire. This circumstance does not change my intention with asking a question here though:

I asked, in my opinion, a pretty straight forward question to the people in this forum as you can see in my first post; either it works or not. No one seems to have an answer to my question and that is a fact I must, and will, accept of course.

Live Long and Prosper !

Just as an information to anyone that might be interested. I have found the answer to my question myself; it is possible.
/FINISH

Live Long and Prosper !

Hi truckab!

Can You give a tip on how did You do this? I am also interested in reading .db and .rst files for postprocessing in WB.

Why don't people just address the topic and stop trying to sound so clever/opinionated, i've asked questions before myself and just got posts of garbish from a person who obviously had no clue and no real interest to help.

Ontopic: I'd be interested to know how to also.

Dave
Graduate Mechanical Engineer

As far as capability goes, I think that the Ansys Classic GUI will give you more options for post-processing and can often generate higher quality graphics than Workbench. But yes, as you mentioned, you can pull a RST file back into Workbench for post-processing. Workbench is faster when visualizing large models, so that's an advantage that you might get from going back to that interface.

I know that you already found out how to do it, but for anyone else who comes upon this thread, the command is "Menu Bar >> Tools >> Read Result Files" to pull an RST file into Workbench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back