Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Post Tension Field Elongations

Status
Not open for further replies.

strguy11

Structural
Nov 29, 2005
US
For projects with unbonded, monostrand tendons in buildings, the PTI manual and ACI indicates that the measured field elongations shall be within 7% of the calculated elongations.

My question is that are these compared to the elongations using the theoretical E and Area of the tendons, or should those be revised based on actual E and A based on the mill certifications?

The shop drawings have the elongations based on the theoretical E and A. I guess the question is does the 7% tolerance account for the variations in the E and A, or should these be accounted for, then checked for the 7%?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Has the stressing engineer submitted elongation and stress loss calculations? How much does E and A differ from theoretical values? It's not normal procedure to re-calculate elongations based on actual E and A, but if you believe they will have a significant effect you should contact the stressing engineer to maybe do some spot checks to see if there is any significant changes in elongations.

Yes, we have received the calcs and they are based on the theoretical numbers. I want the mill certifications to review prior to stressing, but just wasnt sure if the 7% accounted for the differences, which it sounds like it does.

For some reason i remember making the adjustments on a bridge job awhile back, but it had multistrand tendons, so i think that is why it was done.

Most PT shop drawings and calcs are based upon close-to-reality strand properties, and code-based friction and wobble values/ranges.

Typically, after stressing and when the EoR receives the field elongation report, IF the results are > +/-7% then you re-calc the elongations based on actual A and E from the strand mill cert.etc.

Personally, I think the PT elongations should NOT be on the shop drawings for field personnel to know before/during stressing. Stress the tendons, issue the report and have the EoR review using the strand mill cert strand A and E. If they are outside that range then investigate why - drape, friction, wedge slip, cement paste wedge cavity etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back