Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Post your job status (2020 Edition) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

umatrix

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2013
US
thread1088-246571 "Post your job status" from 2009 , ( Great Recession era )

This is the 2020 edition, (I.e., coronavirus related economic downturn )

Post whether you are working, laid off, or just plain downsized. Is job loss/lay off due to Covid ?
If you're not working post how long you've been out, what industry and overall outlook in your field.

I'll start
Mechanical engineer out of work since July (laid off/ downsized). Due to Covid.
Auto Industry
See promising number of job posts but seems no responses from employers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"I mostly just want things to stay status quo while I wind down to retirement."

Just about everyone near retirement feels this way. However, what I have observed is that this attitude tends to show. I have seen a lot of people close to retirement get laid-off when things get tight because younger employees are cheaper and more energetic. I worked for a corporation for almost 25 years in one location with about 200 employees. In that time I saw only two low level employees make it to voluntary retirement. Saw dozens over 50 put on "special projects" and then let go, or just let go in head count reductions or "restructuring".

When I retired, my boss demanded a one-year notice. I ended-up not leaving until I was almost 69. He'd have liked me to stay at least another year, but I told him I given him his extra year and that was that (it was actually closer to 18 months before I was finally able to break away).

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Retired 5 1/2 years ago at age 68 but worked part time from home until age 69. Like John above, I gave a one year notice of impending retirement date.

Had a potential COVID exposure on site in March. Isolated for 2 weeks (no symptoms). Returned to the office. Got terminated within 10 days. Spent a couple months focused on completing some coursework and beefing up my stream of design tools. Took a random call in July that ended up with me starting to work on my own. Since then, I've been working pretty steady and it's actually quite nice.

I'm in industrial automation.
We have not slowed down. Since we automate manufacturing; new Covid-19 development programs took over regular development. From ventilator manufacturing to test kit packaging, it's been steady work.
Now we are running regular Biotech projects in place of some of the heavy industrial projects that were put on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back