Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postbuilder Issues, M03 and S at every operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydenn

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2005
CA
Hi,
I'm using NX5 and PB5.0.3

I'm trying to develop a post and I am having ONE issue...

The post outputs a "M03" and "Sxxxx" at every operation in the file.

I do not want this. I only want an output if it's necessary. i.e. only if it changes OR at a tool change.

Now, the way my file is set up is as follows;
Absolutly NO start events or end events.
Feeds and speeds set manually by selecting every operation in the tool group, and editing the speed and feed at once.

The post is 99% "out of the box". almost NO editing except for a header and a few "safe start" lines.

The review tool is telling me that the output is coming from the "first move" event handler.

I thought that if a command was modal, it wouldn't be repeated over and over again but it is.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JAY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While I see what you are saying, my comment is this.

Why does it really matter?

The image sent to the machine shop may be a few bytes longer with the extra information, but most controllers will see the same values in those fields and keep right on cutting.

From a PostBuilder standpoint, yes I want the code as effecient as possible. Do I want to spend hours writing a custom proc to handle something that won't affect the end results? I know I don't want to.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Started using UGII in 1987, V3.2, with MDFG and GPM! I haven't done much with Post Builder, but I took a class in Cypress at V16 time, which was pre-release Post Builder. We focused on how to customize the output by editing the TCL files directly.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Looslib,

Ha!
You are 100% correct. No doubt.
And believe me, I will not lose sleep over this issue.

Solving this problem is more about understanding and education rather than getting a good posted output.

Know what I mean?

JAY

I have no problem with looking for the educational value of solving the problem.

Maybe I'll have a crack at refreshing my memeory of PB next week.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Check the Linear and Rapid moves to see if the S and M wordes are being Forced. These are sometimes the First Move. What Safe Start lines did you add?

Miner49,

The M3 and S commands are set as "optional" in the motion blocks.

And as far as safe start, I added "G90 G80 G40 G20 G99".

JAY

In the Operation Start Sequence - Start of Path, you should have a tool_change_force_address Custom command with something like:
MOM_force once S M_spindle X Y Z fourth_axis fifth_axis F

Remove the S M_spindle words and see if that removes them. That should do it.

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back