Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Posting Mezzanine Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinaman

Structural
Mar 28, 2009
US
I have been asked by a local municipality to review an elevated mezzanine to determine its uniform live load capacity. I have completed that task and determined the capacity of the elevated mezzanine is 95psf (live load).

Does anyone have any guidance as to how this should be posted? Is there any OSHA regulation regarding proper wording of the posting?....or where this posting should be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not report your findings to the municipality and ask them if and where they want it to be posted?

BA

The problem with posting is it does not really work. I have never met a worker that weighs and measures an item before they store it. I would advise the municipality of this and decide if it needs to be upgraded based upon the actual usage.

Brad

It is my understanding that OSHA did an inspection and has required the city to post a live load capacity for the mezzanine.

I have told the city to have their safety officer to be the liaison between us and OSHA and ask them how they'd like for this to be posted, but all I've heard back from that is that nobody is sure how to word the posting nor where it should be posted.

I'm thinking of advising to simply post "Mezzanine Live Load Capacity 95psf"

The 1997 UBC has a section on posting live loads (1607.3.5), but from a quick glance, I don't see this section in the IBC or ASCE7

I agree with Brad805- You can post this to make the local municipality happy, but it is unlikely that workers will care or understand about the loading.

Personally I would include the recommendation that they upgrade it in your report notifying them of what the code requirement is for this type of usage.

Then you can mention that as an absolute minimum if budget does not allow for this then they should provide the load signs.

Contrary to what you might think, most people who lift things for a living have a good idea about how much things weigh and a conscientious worker can have a reasonable idea of what weight they are putting on.

Anyway, I really cannot see how it could be pinned on you if they did overload it after you had explained the implications to them in plain english.

If posting is the way that is chosen. Conspicuous is the key word. Make sure the sign is located in a Conspicuous location. Somewhere that it will not get covered, or blocked in the future. Maybe at he top of the stairs, ladder or access (whatever you have).

Yes, if you're going to post signs you'll want to do it at all Mezzanine access points with a legible, reasonably sized sign. If you don't put it at the access points, but put it somewhere on the mezzanine, people could unknowingly bring a weight into the area before they realize they shouldn't do it.

TLHS is right, also, another stipulation I have used in the past is that the sign must be in all applicable languages.

If most workers speak/read a language other than English, then there you go, a sign might be worthless if it was just in english.

The average person may not understand the term "live load capacity", though it seems intuitive to us. Maybe something like "MEZZANINE LOADING SHALL NOT EXCEED 95 POUNDS PER SQUARE FOOT".

Its a bit wordy, and I had to use "shall", but trying to think like a lawyer.

Update - I decide to search out as many avenues as possible to find out the wording and location of posting for the mezzanine. I called the local building official, but made no progress. I then called the Department of Insurance for my state. They told me they couldn't help, but, that I had to get the local Fire Marshall to tell me how HE wanted it worded and the posting location, as HE would be the one to enforce it. I now have the city talking to him.

Assuming the correct spec is 100psf, do we really think this will be a safety concern if the load goes from 95psf to 100psf? I don't think 5% is too much over. We are not like NASA or Boeing engineers that can predict the exact rib and load a wing will fail at. Unless the proposed usage is changing dramatically or the past use suggests a safety concern, I would put this in a report and leave it up to the owner.

Brad

Per IBC 2006:
1603.3 Live loads posted.
Where the live loads for which each floor or portion thereof of a commercial or industrial building is or has been designed to exceed 50 psf (2.40 kN/m 2 ), such design live loads shall be conspicuously posted by the owner in that part of each story in which they apply, using durable signs. It shall be unlawful to remove or deface such notices.

I like BA's wording, I would be tempted to spell out PSF...

I wouldn't dwell that much on this, put it on your plans and move on. If someone doesn't install or removes and EXIT sign, that is not on the architect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back