Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Posting V5 Images 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapitan

Aerospace
Nov 8, 2001
GB
There seems to be some confusion about posting V5 captured images. There's no doubt, in my mind, that images do say a lot when trying to describe something, and they cross all languages. An image can remove a lot of doubt about a subject, if used properly.

Within V5 there are some quite sophisticated image tools, there are also some very basic and easy to use tools for capturing images and saving them.

The most important thing is where these images are stored, for if they are to appear in a Thread or Post they must reside on a web server, not in local storage. I've said in another post that I use a picture hosting site, Imagecave.com, lots of them are free to use. If you run out of storage capacity then just open up another under a different filename.
This complete paragraph applies to all other Eng-Tips fora, and most other types of forum.

This is what I've found to be easy to use and works every time. As usual in Catia there are other ways of doing something.

Usually I capture the whole screen, save it and then open it up in PaintShop or PhotoShop or similar, then Crop and Resize it before exporting to the web server. It is better to keep the size of a picture down to a manageable number of pixels. Pictures that are too wide will distort the Thread page and may even mean that scrolling has to done to see the other side or bottom of the picture. The TGML guideline is that pictures are limited to 400 pixels wide.

So, to start off select Tools => Image => Capture
and this toolbar appears,
ImageCaptureToolbar.gif

- select the pixel button and then the Save button.

The image can now be processed as described earlier and sent to the web server.

To insert the image on the page copy the whole URL from the picture hosting site and paste it. Follow the instructions in the TGML Guide.

To centre an image on the page like this example,

CatPix_03.bmp.jpg

in the Thread/Post editor use the spacebar to push the image code
across the page, to the right. Preview it to check what is happening.

The example is only 8330 bytes in size and won't slow up loading, if using a Dial-Up connection.
The Image Toolbar was copied from the on line Help Documentation.

Presentation will help a lot explaining something, if access is available to FreeStyle then a little rendering can liven up an object, as in this prototype example, of only 10649 bytes. Both of these two images are just 320 pixels wide.

CatPix_11.bmp.jpg

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention Perspective, it's how we see everything...

View => Render Style => Perspective

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back