Potable Water Pipe Valves Fittings Protection in Fillcrete Backfill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam1900

Civil/Environmental
Sep 14, 2024
CA
Hello everyone,

Potable water distribution system's valves and fittings protection if earth backfill is not an option and have to use Fillcrete, how the metal pipe and valves should be protected from Fillcrete that also have cathodic protection applied for corrosion protection?

Please suggest AWWA or other code if available on this topic.

Thanks,
A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fillcrete is not considered to be particularly corrosive.

Most pipe and fittings receive an exterior asphaltic coating approximately 1 mil thick per AWWA C151 for ductile iron pipe, AWWA C115 for flanged pipe and AWWA C110 and C153 for fittings.

The asphaltic coating works in conjunction with manufacturing annealing scale to provide a barrier to corrosion.

In above-ground applications, Wasser FerroClad moisture-cured urethane primer is generally used.

You should post a better description of what your application such as pipe material, etc. Have you discussed your application with the piping suppliers?

Sorry for being vague.

I was asking more about stresses on the valves and steel pipe than corrosivity of Fillcrete. It is 30" steel pipe and 30" valve. 10 feet deep. I would rephrase question. Do fillcrete more stresses than granular backfill? Are valves and other fittings typically designed to take those loads?

I am waiting on supplier to respond.

Thanks

Mechanical restrained joints effectively and economically restrain the piping and transfer the thrust loads to the piping instead of the soil. If you are concerned with the soil conditions, use mechanical restrained joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back