Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Potentiostatic method for Clorine

Status
Not open for further replies.

abelpinto

Agricultural
Oct 22, 2004
PT
Can any one tell me how works Potentiostatic method for Clorine mesures and wich sensors they use. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ablepinto,

The system works as a simple battery by using the chlorine in the water to oxidise a metal electrode. The ammount of current it generates (mA) is proportional to the amount of chlorine in the water (more amps, more chlorine). I have used Deplox units maufactured by Wallace and Tiernan. They use a platinum electrode to measure the chlorine with a built in refference electrode to correct the result for changes in pH.

I hope this is usefull.

Paul

Hi mate

There are a few manufacturerers that produce residual analysers. If you are looking for products Prominent do a cheap alternative to the W & T Deplox. But you need to check the pH prior to purchase as there is a point where the pH correction probes will not accurately correct the measured chlorine and you will require a buffered system that will correct the sample pH prior to measuring the chlorine residual. Severn trent Services or capital control are the only buffered test gear I have used, which works well. As the above postings say you measure a conductive potential across electrodes which relate to a residual but this must be calibrated to the water to be sampled usually with a colour based test unit. The reading is then calculated against the pH and this is where the problems start. Multiplying small number with large correction factors resulting in poor quality reading.

Hope this is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back