Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pouring a slab over radiant heating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

noemi

Materials
Apr 4, 2003
US
A slab will be poured soon in the basement of our two story addition. We have 2" foam insulation under and at edges,and vapor barrier. Then a steel grid is laid to which the radiant heat pipe is attached. We want a nice smooth finish. Any suggestions and/ or cautions. The structure is enclosed.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few suggestions:

1. Be sure the subgrade has been properly compacted

2. Pressure test the heat piping BEFORE you concrete.

3. Be sure the heat pipe is acceptable for use in a concrete slab. I know of project that used black iron piping that eventually started leaking after reacting in the concrete. They never could find all the leaks.

4. Be sure to provide a method, other than saw cutting, to provide crack control joints in the slab.

Good luck!

Well we are in the process of generating a budget proposal for an aircraft hanger which is approximately 21K sf and the owner believes he wants a hydronic floor heating system. If we do not saw joints, then what should I do? We usually green cut the slab at approximately 12'6" on centers. If we use expansion joints, then how will that affect the hydronic tubes? The building is located in Mississippi

Supercreel (Is that a ref. to your flyfishing ability?)

A few thoughts:

1. For the joints you could use the PVC "zip-strips".

2. I do think you are better of using a SoftCut saw. The main thing is to KNOW where the pipes are, make sure that they are held below the level of the saw cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back