Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

pouring mud mat in water 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCOLLINS1

Industrial
Jan 26, 2024
US
Hello, I have a need for 2000psi flowable fill mud mat, however ground water level is high and wont stop running into 10x10’ excavation. Is it detrimental to the 4’ deep concrete foundation to pour mud mat in water to get above the waterline?

I have urgent need for information

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will probably be fine as a mud mat, provided you pour slowly to avoid the water getting mixed into the flowable fill. I assume the foundation level itself isn't compromised. Personally, I would use a higher strength, more cohesive concrete to pour the mud mat to compensate for potential mixing.

What are the following conditions:
1. How high is the water table compared to the depth of the excavation?
2. How fast is the ground water entering into the excavation?
3. How thick is the mud mat?

Pump it from within (like tremmie), if you can and add a couple of inches in thickness.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

It was poured slowly from one side to the other where a pit was dug and 2" pump was placed but the flow of water was too much and covered the mat also including it rained over night and made it worse. so the mud mat cured underwater basically

Water curing is the ideal for concrete. The problem is when water is mixed into the concrete while it is still plastic. If you avoid mixing, there is no real problem, particularly for a mud mat/ blinding layer.

KCOLLINS1, you said, "It was poured slowly from one side to the other..." Has it already been poured? I would be surprised if you can successfully tremie pour a thin concrete mud mat. Too thin, too hard to keep the tremie hose in the concrete. After you pour the mud mat, it will probably heave, uplift, and crack if/when you dewater to place the concrete foundation on the mud mat. Show us some photos of the completed mud mat?

PEinc,
Thank you, yes it was poured with ground water encroaching as it was poured. 1500psi mud mat 6" thick. Then overnight rains with ground water still seeping in covered the entire mat. I wasnt present when it was poured so all pics i have is next morning with it covered in water.

Ok, thanks. concrete blinding in my part of the world and there was another thread here where it was called something different again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back