Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powder/Pulverizer for Organic Material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcavender

Electrical
May 31, 2018
US
Powder Making Machine

I was approached by a client to find a ‘continuous powderizer’ (passing 25-35 mesh) that can reduce 115 kg / hour (254 lbs/hr) of finely chopped, relatively soft ‘organic material’ at appx 5% moisture content into dry powder residue.

That’s around 4.25 lbs of powder / minute.

The questions I would pose to materials experts here:

1. Since the material is a soft organic rather than a hard material that fractures, are there any suggestions of one type of machine that would be superior to others for this material?

2. Can you recommend a reliable company making pulverizers that has a good reputation in this space?

Clearly even low amounts of moisture adds to the problem of getting to a dry powder.

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments related to ways to most efficiently approach a drying mechanism.

I am definitely open to out of the box suggestions as this is in the feasibility stage and prudent risks to benefit throughput makes sense.

All thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.

Best regards,
Bruce

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might try to find out what machines they use to grind spices.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Ed,

Interesting lead. I had not considered spices.

I found one very interesting chart for spice grinding in the right mesh range that specified lbs/hp/hour for hammer mills. (Will need to bone up on the mechanism there. Haven’t used one yet).

At the required 255 lb/hr, that targets the horsepower range ~12 to 25hp total depending on the specific input material.

That sets the machine bar a bit higher, but energy would come in nicely at ~$3/hr.

That helps!

Best regards,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back