Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not hype per se. The technology is viable and do-able with a couple caveats.

1) It's been done before, thermoelectric and thermionic converters have been used for both power generation and heat pump applications.

2) The idea of using a low-work function electrode is not new either. Maybe current calculation techniques can optimize the electrode shape/material/temperature combinations, dunno - I'm not a condensed matter physicist.

3) The idea of using CVD diamond plating is new, and a good idea - any plasma electron exchange device is plauged with the possible "back flow" of charged ions. In the case of thermionic devices, this is what would cause the tubes to burn out after XXX hours operation. Using a diamond film could help reduce this problem (increase the energy required to vaporize/ionize anode material). Maybe. Don't know if it doesn't simultaneously affect work function.

4) I'd love to have a couple of these to test. I'm not sure the company could provide me with a couple no matter how much $$$ I'd pay. They've been at it for > 5 years, with no published data, or prototypes available that I can see. Like a lot of other neat ideas, the results will depend on getting a lot of finicky details right. I'd like to see some kind of documentation of their development efforts to date before I'd invest any money that I wasn't willing to see fly away.

My $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back