Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power control device

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaink

Electrical
Oct 26, 2004
US
Hi,

What kind of device should I look for if I want to control the voltage source feeding a gauge based on temperature readings?

What I'm trying to do is to ensure the internal temp of the gauge doesn't get too hot. So I want to have some kind of temp sensor to read the internal gauge temp and send the readings back to "the device." Based on the temp range, I want "the device" to switch on/off the power source feeding the gauge. Better yet, if the device can switch to different voltage levels. I'm looking at 120V or less, and 1-2A.

I've never done automation control, so I don't even know where to start. Please point me to right direction. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you are OK with cutting power off to your gauge if it starts to get too hot? If so, the simplest method would be to just install a temperature switch in the gauge housing ahead of the incoming power lines. These devices are typically known as "klixons" (as in "clicks on") because a particular ubiquitous version made by Texas Instruments (now Sensata I think) is called that. If you Google kilxon you will find lots of offerings. they are a simple little switch that when warmed up beyond a predetermined threshold, i.e. your max. temp., simple pop and open the contacts, then stay open until the switch cools down again.

JRaef.com
"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." Scott Adams
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

If it's just a small amount of control power, i.e. 6A or less, you could get a Thermistor Tripping Relay, then select the right thermistor to give you the temperature range you are looking for.

Something like this;

along with this

JRaef.com
"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." Scott Adams
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back