Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Flow/Load analysis Software 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnicksJets

Electrical
Jul 12, 2002
US
Hello
I’d like to practice the power flow analysis, short circuit modeling etc I had learned few years ago on my personal time. My company doesn’t have any of the tools such as SKM Power Tools or ETAP. As such, I want to personally invest on this and practice myself.
Any suggestion as to where and how I can get these software for personal use? I was hoping personal use copy would be cheaper than business; asking SKM didn’t help. Any idea where I can buy/download the software legally? Any other suggestion on practicing these modeling would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not aware of any of the major suppliers offering "personal use" versions due to the inevitable abuse that would occur.

Sometimes they offer free use for college students for power systems analysis classes.

ATP is free, but not very user-friendly.

Thanks both to dpc and magoo2.
@magoo2, you gave me the answer I was looking for. I am right now downloading their demo version. Thanks.

You can get a limited use working model of ASPEN OneLiner to try. Fully functional except you can only work with their examples and not save your changes.

Frankly speaking investing such a big amount on "personal learning" will not be of that worth. If your company is not willing to invest in these softwares, that means you don't have any application of these softwares in your projects.
Secondly, even if you purchase the softwares, you need real time projects data to model and good system and enjoy the studies. May be on small example you will enhance your skill level but to do real time system studies you need real time projects on ground and their data as well. And then you will come accross real life problems for these softwares and their solutions.

So I will recommend if you dont use these softwares in your job, you dont need them.

Good luck...

ABB provides a software called "ABB DOC" which is an updated version of the earlier "Docwin" software.

The software is free and quite strong as I see it. It includes following:

- Load flow/voltage drop
- Short circuit calculation
- From the input data (cable lenght, cable type, protection type) the software selects the size of cables and equipment automatically
- Protective device coordination (ABB curves)
- A wizard where the layout of a switchboard can be made. This feature is very useful in designstage where footprint is an important factor. Especially oil and gas offshore industry.
- Calculation of switchboard heating according to IEC standard(very useful tool also to telecom and server racks)
- The software can create: cable lists, list settings switchboard layout and much more.

The software of course selects ABB equipment, but I dont see that as a problem because the equipment is constructed according to IEC standards.

How do you plot time-current curves of non ABB protection devices?
Does the software allow users to create custom libraries of protection devices, cables, overhead lines, variable frequency drives ?

It should be possible to plot non ABB protection devices, but I have not done it yet.

It is not possible to create libraries of protection devices, cables and VSDs. It is possible to select cable type (PVC, XLPE/EPR)

The software does not deal with overhead lines, it must be seen as limited to medium voltage distribution.

OpenDSS (Open Distribution System Simulator) is an open-source software maintained and distributed by EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute). Completely open source and free.

It's made with distributed generation in mind and performs power flow studies, fault analysis, and harmonic analysis with ease once you have your system modeled.

No GUI. You need to write all of your own scripts.

Can be controlled via COM with Python, MATLAB, etc. which is very nice.

I'll echo what the others are saying. Don't buy one of the expensive software platforms if you're not using it for work (and if you are using it for work, the company will be paying for it right?).

Go with another option; it may be a bit more cumbersome but beats dropping 10s of thousands of dollars....

Justin Chebahtah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back