Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power line - contact temperature monitoring under tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opsens

Electrical
Oct 20, 2005
CA
I have a question for all the engineers related to elctricity distribution. Lately our company designed a product for a customer that wanted to monitor Power Line temperature (under tension). We created a special probe and clamp with a fiber optic system which demonstrated great results. At the same time the sensors was collecting the cable temperature (probe #1) and the outside (probe #2: wind included temperature). Now my question is this one, as part of the business development, does this tool has really a potential of success for temperature measurement for Sag calculation or Power distribution optimization.

Second question, the same unit could also be used as a hanger style model to monitor strain and temperature at a very precise location and transmit data to a network. For a price of approximately 10 000 USD could this product be interesting to monitor a power line in real time and optimize it (temperature and deformation). Any company interested to promote those two products is welcome to contact us.

Note: My backgroung not being related to Power industry, some explanation may not come clear in any case please let me know.

Pierre-Philippe Frenette
Fiber optic application engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back